Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Course of Life

At 4:09 AM Saturday, April 17, my eyes popped open wide, anticipating the sound of the alarm set to buzz six minutes later. Shawn had registered us in the Salt Lake City Marathon Bike Tour which started at 6:00 AM. He planned plenty of time for us to drink freshly juiced apples and carrots, assemble our bikes and gear and get to the start line on the University of Utah campus.

We arrived at the start line at 5:40 AM and waited in the dark with hundreds of other riders of all shapes and sizes. There was a giant of a man, over seven feet tall on a bike next to me. I marveled at his incredible stature. There were fit and experienced cycling athletes, amateurs, couples on "bicycles built for two," elderly people on commuter cruisers, children riding with their parents, and participating observers like myself.

All were excitedly awaiting the horn that signaled the time to pedal onto the course. As I watched the growing crowd arrive, I was moved to tears with the thought of such waiting for our departure into mortality. I felt the unity and joy of so many people gathered to share a common purpose, excited for the same event, waiting for the thrill of the experience together. Such was our anxiousness, anticipation and joy at leaving our spirit home to enter the course on earth.

My daily rides have given me time to reflect on the true need to experience a mortal life. Just as there is only so much training and simulation one can do in the gym, or so much discovery that can take place in the lab, getting out in the field with real conditions is the best way to learn and grow. Life is a brutal and effective, yet, awesome teacher and trainer; much like 40+ mph headwinds on my morning rides. Nice as a spin class is, especially in the dead of winter, it just can't simulate the sun, wind, friendly nods and waves of passing cyclists, joggers and bystanders, and the sheer beauty of the earth. Neither can a class adequately simulate the real hazards of traffic, gravel, potholes and the alertness and confidence that is learned by anticipating and actively moving away from them. Mortal life is the place to experience true beauty, unity, and joy amidst such real hazards as addiction, malice and greed.

The Bike Tour was an untimed tour, for fun, not a race, or a competition. Nearly two thousand biking enthusiasts came together to enjoy the ride together. It was meant to attract all types of riders for an "enjoyable family event that covers the most scenic areas of downtown Salt Lake City." Because it was not a competition, riders paced themselves at their own speeds. Those who wished to push themselves to their limits, did so and quickly moved into the lead. Others who wanted to take in the views and move at a moderate pace kindly moved to the right to allow faster riders to pass. Well wishers lined the route, calling out cheers of support and praise in an effort to inspire all to finish; reminding me that angels and ancestors do the same for us moment to moment in mortality.

I've often thought of the nature of competition as stronger, fitter, and faster riders pass me. I never mind it. I am inspired. I am not angry, threatened or fearful. I am grateful they come, seemingly out of nowhere and pass me with ease, especially in moments where I feel like I want to give up or die. What a blessing! They give me a vision of moving forward with strength that I did not have before I saw them pass and serve as an example once in front of me. Seeing the excellence and greatness of another gives me hope and sparks my creativity. There will always be someone smarter, faster, more creative or beautiful, and what cause for celebration, as there is someone to learn from; a model to emulate! The competition I love is the one with myself. Am I better today than I was yesterday? Am I living my potential? Am I glorifying God with my gifts, talents and abilities? Am I recognizing and fulfilling the needs of others? Am I doing good? Unity is a state of complete cooperation, rather than competition. Each gives his or her talent or ability freely to edify and uplift others thereby glorifying God. I love what C.S. Lewis has to say on the subject of competition from his classic work "The Screwtape Letters":

"The whole philosophy of Hell rests on recognition of the axiom that one thing is not another thing, and, specially, that one self is not another self. My good is my good and your good is yours. What one gains another loses. Even an inanimate object is what it is by excluding all other objects from the space it occupies; if it expands, it does so by thrusting other objects aside or by absorbing them. A self does the same. With beasts the absorption takes the form of eating; for us, it means the sucking of will and freedom out of a weaker self into a stronger. "To be" means to be in competition." Now the Enemy's (Christ's) philosophy is nothing more nor less than one continued attempt to evade this very obvious truth. He aims at contradiction. Things are to be many, yet somehow also one. The good of one self is to be the good of another. This impossibility He calls love, and this same monotonous panacea can be detected under all He does and even all He is--or claims to be."

Christ stated:
D&C 38: 27 Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

At the twentieth mile mark on the Bike Tour, we passed a house that had a refreshment station out front much like the water tables we kept passing. The only difference was a huge sign that read "Temptation: Free Booze, Come take a shot!" There were devil horns coming out of the "T" and a pitchfork at the bottom. The irony made me laugh hysterically. Isn't that like life? Five miles to the finish, and a major distraction is introduced. Though "free booze" isn't a draw for me, life has plenty of other distractions that I can get caught up in at any given time, that lure me from the pace and the course I need to follow. It was amazing to visually see a model for the journey of life and experience gratitude for it. Also, in reviewing the map of the Bike Tour, I noticed how straightforward and simple the course of life really is.

We have a clear map set forth in scripture and emulated perfectly by Christ in mortality. Diligently following the map and example Christ set forth will surely lead us home.

One hour and twenty minutes after the horn signaled, Shawn and I crossed the finish line at the Gateway together, joining hundreds of others who had already arrived and awaited hundreds more that followed. I thought of the homecoming we'll receive at death, again uniting with friends and family that have gone on before.How joyous that time will be when it comes. Until then, I'll be enjoying the ride!

Amy Kenney


No comments:

Post a Comment